Your Guide to Fall Skincare
The seasonal transition from summer to fall can be brutal on the skin. It’s not just about the changes that you might see like red breakouts and flaky, cracked skin, but also the discomfort you may feel, such as burning, itching, and tingling during the cooler months. Dryer weather draws moisture right out of the skin causing many of these symptoms. Cooler weather may strip the skin’s protective barrier, creating breaks in the outer layer that allows water to escape and irritants to settle into the skin.
5 helpful tips to Transition your Skincare
- Reduce your exfoliation or change it up. Over exfoliating can strip the skin of its natural oils causing it to dry out.
- Change the way you apply your active skincare ingredients like Retinols. Retinols are infamous for drying the skin out. Dr. Azi recommends using the sandwich method during your night-time fall skincare routine.
- Don’t skip out on sunscreen. Even when the weather is cooler, the sun doesn’t hibernate. UV radiation causes the gradual loss of skin elasticity resulting in wrinkles and dryer skin.
- Apply lotions and creams to damp skin. Applying your moisturizer to damp skin helps to seal in moisture.
- Add a cream based moisturizer; change from light to heavy. Look for key ingredients like ceramides which strengthen the skin barrier and humectants such as glycerin. These humectants draw moisture in, helping to boost overall hydration and improve the appearance of the skin. Niacinamide, another beneficial ingredient, helps reduce inflammation and also has a brightening effect.
Dr. Azi’s Recommended Fall Skincare:
- Intense Recovery: contains glycerin, ceramides, and yeast complexes shown to reduce inflammation.
- Restore: with key ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and ceramides, this moisturizer provides deep hydration with age defying benefits to nourish dry skin back to healthy glowing skin.
- Biossance Omega Repair Cream- mimics our own sebum and has anti-inflammatory properties that help nourish and rehydrate the skin.
- Hydratint BB SPF 44 Cream: Yes! You still need sunscreen in the fall and winter! Mineral based, chemical free sunscreen ingredients in a lightweight formula to hydrate and protect the skin against damaging UV rays. The Iron Oxide helps protect again HEVU aka blue rays from screens.