What’s up with this trending ingredient? We’ve all heard about Niacinamide, whether it’s on its own or paired with other star ingredients. But what’s the hype actually about? Follow along this blog to see why Niacinamida is so beloved by skin experts and the skincare community.
What it is: Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B-3, an antioxidant that helps support the function and structure of the skin barrier.
Clinical studies have shown that niacinamide can help:
- Regulate oil production
- Reduce water loss from the skin
- Maintain a strong skin barrier
- Reduce redness and irritation with antiinflammatory properties
Dr. Azi recommends Niacinamide as a daily supplement for her patients that have a lot of sun damage or risk of skin cancer as it’s been shown to have protective effects against UV damage from the sun.
Niacinamide drawbacks: In higher concentration, it can be irritating to some skin types and lead to worsening of acne. Dr. Azi finds it to be a supplemental ingredient formulated with other actives such as retinol or Vitamin C rather than a stand alone product.
Who makes a good candidate: In the right formulation it can be beneficial for all skin types including those with sensitive skin. Dr. Azi suggests using products with less than 5% niacinamide as greater concentration don’t offer more benefits but can potentially cause irritation such as redness and rebound oil production particularly at concentrations of 10% or higher. I believe it to pair well with other activities. However, some argue it shouldn’t be mixed with Vitamin C but as long as it’s formulated into one product- then they can actually work really well together.
Dr. Azi’s favorite products with Niacinamide:
- SkinTyte Serum: Patients adore this product, even those with Rosacea. It combines Niacinamide with potent anti-aging ingredients such as Copper-Proline-Lysine Complex shown clinically to activate resting fibroblasts to produce elastin and collagen in the dermis. + >150% increase in elastin, >170% increase in collagen type I, >190% increase in Collagen type III all after 10 days.
- EltaMD UV Clear : Daily moisturizer with SPF and Niacinamide in a light fast absorbing cream. Acne patients love this as Niacinamide helps reduce inflammation associated with acne.
- Rénergie H.C.F. Triple Serum: Comprehensive serum with multiple antioxidants such as Vitamin C and Ferrulic Acid. It has a unique bottle design which mixes ingredients in each pump for greater stability and potency. It has a light texture and is absorbed quickly.
- LRP Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer with Niacinamide: Rich nourishing cream to be applied to damp skin or after a serum like SkinTyte. Also formulated with ceramides and glycerin to further support the skin barrier and give long lasting hydration.