Are you prepared for your lip filler appointment? There's so much that goes into deciding to get a lip filler procedure, and we're here to help. Here's what to expect from a lip filler appointment. Preparation, appointment details, and after care for lip filler procedures.
How important is seeing a professional?
- This is the most important factor in determining your lip filler appearance and experience.
- When we think about a filler procedure, most of us consider this a fun cosmetic procedure! Although true, the reality is that this is still a medical procedure and there are risks involved. Always do your research before considering your injector.
- There are so many different fillers on the market. Your professional will decide which filler is best based on your history, current lip size, as well as your desired outcome.
- Facial filler injections are a true technical art. Dr. Azadeh Shirazi takes the time to do a detailed analysis of your anatomy as well as spend time getting to know your desired goals before creating the best aesthetic shape and results for you. Injections may seem like a simple procedure, but this process is both an art and a science.
- Your treatment recommendations may vary from your bestie’s or mom’s treatment recommendations. It is important to have an initial evaluation to determine your desired goals, evaluate your anatomy and discuss your history. Your treatment recommendations may vary from your bestie’s recommendations.
Setting realistic expectations
- This is not a treatment you want to have right before a big event! Recovery varies per individual.
- Bruising, swelling, asymmetry, and feeling lumpy/bumpy is expected during your 2-4 week recovery post treatment.
- If you are looking for subtle and natural lips then, then it may only require one session. However, multiple sessions may be required to reach your desired outcome.
Swelling and Bruising expectations
- Swelling and bruising generally lasts between 3-7 days and varies on area, technique, and skin sensitivity.
- Swelling goes down, don’t be disappointed! You can always book a follow up appointment.
- If you miss the look of swelling, you can always use a plumping gloss
- A great option is Platinum Lip Plump by AziMD Skincare.
Preparation for appointment
To minimize the possibility of bruising, you will need to avoid taking any of the following about 2 weeks before your procedure:
- Blood thinners (such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, fish oil, etc)
- Herbal medications
Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding cannot have cosmetic injectable treatments.
Before filler pictures from Dr. Azadeh Shirazi at La Jolla Laser Center and Dermatology
During your appointment
Every treatment will start with a detailed facial analysis and discussion. For your comfort, you will numb with a topical anesthetic so you feel no pain. Some professionals will use ice and a special wand that also reduces the possibility of pain. Sterility is extremely important to make sure there is no possibility of infection.
A very thin needle is used to inject small amounts of filler meticulously, precisely, and artistically to create your desired shape and aesthetic based on all things we have discussed and considered. Facial filler procedures usually take 30-60 minutes based on complexity and discussion.
After filler pictures from Dr. Azadeh Shirazi at La Jolla Laser Center and Dermatology
After your appointment
If directed, you can ice and also massage the treated areas after the procedure. You must refrain from using makeup or placing anything that could have bacteria on your face for 24 hours. No strenuous activity or exercise for 24 hours.
Swelling lasts 3-7 days depending on the area you had injected. Depending on the type of filler, the results will last from several months to years. A long term maintenance plan can be established, in order to reach and maintain your ideal results.
If you are interested in getting lip filler done by a professional like Dr. Azadeh Shirazi (board- certified dermatologist), make sure to book at www.lajollalaserderm.com.